[Twisted-Python] threadedselctreactor and releases

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Mon Oct 3 07:13:39 MDT 2005

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:45:45 +0200, Moof <moof at metamoof.net> wrote:
>glyph at divmod.com wrote:
>> Frankly,

>This was the sentence I was hoping to avoid. It is a very common, and highly
>merited complaint which I am very well aware of. I didn't want to appear
>like just another whiny user who couldn't care less about the people behind
>the project. I guess I did fail.

Perhaps I was overly harsh then.  I realized that you understood the problem - I was framing it there for context, meaining to say that you could be a more direct participant in the solution, not that you were a jackass for even mentioning that there was a bug in Twisted that needed to be fixed :-).

>> My specific suggestion to you would be to start contributing patches
>> against the automated build/release scripts so that all a Twisted
>> release manager has to do when the release is ready is "release-twisted
>> --core 2.5.2 'This release fixes several issues in tsreactor spotted
>> with the previous release'".
>
>Right now I see five bugs tagged with "release management". I'll have a
>proper look at them later and see what I can do. I suspect, though, that
>much of it will require me to know the build system inside out. Is it
>documented anywhre? Or who can I talk to about working out how it works and
>what sort of times does he or she tend to be online?

radix, apparently, and .au times.  Last I heard out of him before this thread, he wasn't doing it any more, but I guess we've got him hooked at least through 2.1!  Perhaps I just need to agitate for a more rapid release; there's clearly lots of forward movement in core that needs to get out there.

>> Once this is fixed then the procedural
>> problems of doing a release should be quite a bit easier to deal with.
>> Speaking of which, I don't even think we *have* a release manager now,
>> want to volunteer for that?
>
>What's involved? Can someone with less-than-stellar knowledge of the
>intricacies of twisted, and an unbelievebaly small understanding of C, do
>the job?

That sounds about right.  None of the work of an RM is hard - you just have to basically pay attention to what's going on and coordinate, and do the tedious typing-into-fields on freshmeat and the website and whatever.  Whether he's still doing it or not, radix needs a break, so my suggestion stands :).

>> Twisted *SHOULD* be a working,
>> self-contained whole.

>I agree, wholeheartedly.

Awesome.