[Twisted-Python] svn-reorg blocking

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Oct 25 21:29:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:01:53 +1100, Christopher Armstrong <radeex at gmail.com> wrote:

>However, serialport is much more devious: 'from serialport import *'.
>This then causes an error on any system that doesn't have the
>third-party "serial" module installed (which is imported by
>serialport.py). The best suggestion I've heard for fixing this one is
>to make serialport a single module (again) that defines all the
>classes conditionally, but I do think that at least as far as code
>organisation is concerned, the current way the files are laid out is
>nice.

Here's a suggestion.

Move all files in serialport/ up one level.  Put _'s in front of all the 'implementation' module names.  Replace the 'serialport' package with the existing 'serialport' module, which has pretty much *exactly* the same code in it; the external interface and import names don't change, and the only negative impact is 5 more files in internet/ (considering the size of directories in, say, Apache or Linux, I don't think that this is anything to cry over).

>Can we try to come to a conclusion about this stuff soon?

Shall I make the previous suggestion a "conclusion"? ;-)