[Twisted-Python] Freevo 2.0, Kamaelia, pyevent, Eventnet/LGT: what's going on?

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Thu Oct 20 19:51:39 EDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:51:20 +0200, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>I don't know. FWIW, my current opinion about Twisted (may change without
>warning ;-)) is that:

>- design choices are not documented at all (for example, why a custom
>logging module instead of the Python-provided one?), so they often look
>gratuitous

 - twisted.python.log is OLDER than the Python-provided one.  Ask instead, "why does Python use a custom logging module instead of the Twisted-provided one?"

 - as a matter of fact, this design choice *IS* documented, http://twistedmatrix.com/bugs/issue307

 - okay okay, you have a point, there should be documents put together somewhere, not just random things in the issue tracker :).  I thought it was amusing that you picked the _one_ design choice as an example of this that _does_ have copious documentation available somewhere public.

>- the tendency to advocate proprietary protocols (like PB) without
>warning the user should be mitigated

"custom", maybe.  "proprietary"?  no, not according to any definition of the word.  There is a Java implementation, at least half of an Emacs implementation.

PB2 is probably going to take a while to get implemented everywhere, but there is at least some effort towards making this protocol more widely available than just Python + Twisted.

>- the architecture is sometimes bizarre or badly described (the
>credential stuff looks like Chinese to me); for example, why is there a
>distinction between "*Protocol" and "*Factory" types?

I'm not sure I understand the question here.  Have you read the writing-servers and writing-clients documentation?

>I often recommend the use of Twisted for standard network functions. But
>I stay away of the more sophisticated stuff (including twistd, PB,
>Nevow, etc.). Grouping all this stuff together with the basic, trusted,
>dependable network classes may yield a perception of twisted as
>bloatware.

That's exactly why the project was split up.  Not only is Nevow not distributed with Twisted, we recently had a discussion on this very mailing list explaining why it is *NEVER* allowed to even *optionally* import Nevow from the Twisted codebase...