[Twisted-Python] Subproject releases

Moof moof at metamoof.net
Wed Oct 12 05:03:00 EDT 2005

David Reid wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2005, at 10:49 PM, glyph at divmod.com <mailto:glyph at divmod.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I remember participating in this initial discussion.
>>
>> I remember taking some side in it, and arguing strongly for that side.
>>
>> I'm not sure which one it was, so if I'm responsible for rejecting it
>> I've changed my mind, but if I was arguing in favor of it I'm now even
>> more vociferous :).
>

> Just in the interest of clarity, I'm fairly certain you argued against
> this, because of the pain it would cause the developer involved in all
> aspects of Twisted as opposed to just one or two subprojects.  Then I
> wrote pthy, to try to make that kind of thing easier, no one used it,
> and now apparently you've written Combinator to do the same thing in a
> different and all together better way.  So I support this kind of change.

Out of interest, How do these solutions relate to all the fancy metapackage
stuff you can do with setuptools?

Much of the python world seems to be migrating towards setuptools as a way
to distribute their packages and cope with fun things like dependencies.
Certainly I'd hope that I could say "depends on twisted.core and
twisted.web" on future packages that I might be developing. It even has
so-called "Namespace package" support, which initially seems geared towards
Zope's package structure, but might well do for twisted, too. And if it's
not ok for twisted, then now is the right time to pipe up at the developers
(which seem to be lead by Phillip J Eby) and get some changes made, as it's
still in a robust alpha stage.

<http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#namespace-packages>

I think it'd be a huge shame for twisted not to release eggs in the future,
this stuff is not even beta, and it's already got wide acceptance and usage
out in the web framework world, amongst others. And now's the time to get it
right, at least as far as setuptools is concerned.

Moof
--
Giles Antonio Radford, alias Moof
"Too old to be a chicken and too young to be a dirty old man"