[Twisted-Python] DHCP client implementation using twisted

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Fri Oct 7 12:52:23 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:09:30PM -0400, Gaspard, Bradley S wrote:

> I've browsed the documentation and mailing list and did a Google search but
> could find nothing useful. I'm wondering if anyone could point me to a DHCP
> client implementation. In lieu of that, any thoughts on how difficult it
> would be write a DHCP client for a Twisted newbie?
>

> Any guidance would be appreciated.

I'm the opposite of a Twisted expert, but writing a DHCP client in any
language isn't trivial. DHCP ideally requires raw socket access and
has to work before the IP stack is fully up and running.

It's about the last application I'd consider using to learn a new
development platform. It's also something that, to me, doesn't sound
like a useful thing to have an async implementation of - if you're
reconfiguring your network interface, what else are you wanting to
use the network for at the same time?

"Anemon" is a python implementation of DHCP, IIRC.

Cheers,
  Steve