[Twisted-Python] threadedselctreactor and releases

Moof moof at metamoof.net
Mon Oct 3 08:45:45 EDT 2005

glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> Frankly, I, and everyone else on this mailing list who has commit access
> to Twisted, has done *more* than enough for the F/OSS community already
> without seeing anywhere near adequate compensation.

This was the sentence I was hoping to avoid. It is a very common, and highly
merited complaint which I am very well aware of. I didn't want to appear
like just another whiny user who couldn't care less about the people behind
the project. I guess I did fail.

> My specific suggestion to you would be to start contributing patches
> against the automated build/release scripts so that all a Twisted
> release manager has to do when the release is ready is "release-twisted
> --core 2.5.2 'This release fixes several issues in tsreactor spotted
> with the previous release'".

Right now I see five bugs tagged with "release management". I'll have a
proper look at them later and see what I can do. I suspect, though, that
much of it will require me to know the build system inside out. Is it
documented anywhre? Or who can I talk to about working out how it works and
what sort of times does he or she tend to be online?

> Once this is fixed then the procedural
> problems of doing a release should be quite a bit easier to deal with.
> Speaking of which, I don't even think we *have* a release manager now,
> want to volunteer for that?

What's involved? Can someone with less-than-stellar knowledge of the
intricacies of twisted, and an unbelievebaly small understanding of C, do
the job?

> I suggest this rather than your other recommendations as to breaking out
> a separate tsreactor release because Twisted *SHOULD* be a working,
> self-contained whole.  Right now there are lots of holes and lots of
> bugs, but we shouldn't distribute separate "backports" of every fix and
> additional component because making a release is hard.  We should make
> making a release easier and just do that more often.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Moof
--
Giles Antonio Radford, alias Moof
"Too old to be a chicken and too young to be a dirty old man"