[Twisted-Python] Python application requiring SSH and SNMPv3

Brendan Simon Brendan at BrendanSimon.com
Mon Nov 7 05:19:09 MST 2005

Hi,

I'm new to Twisted and have a few questions.

I wish to write a GUI in wxPython that needs to communicate to a POSIX
machine to execute commands and return results.  The underlying
application is a command-line based Configuration Management System
called Aegis.  I wish to use SSH to communicate and see that Twisted has
Conch :)  I also see that that there is another python ssh module called
"paramiko" which looks like is less complex than Twisted.  I'm trying to
figure out which path to take.

This application may also require rsync to transfer files back and
forth.  Samba/SMB could also be an option.  Does twisted have support
for these protocols?

On another application I need to use SNMPv3.  I see that PySNMP now
supports it but apparently it is very slow.  Does Twisted support PySNMP
with v3 support?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage in using Twisted over individual
modules for SSH or SNMP, etc???

Thanks,
Brendan.