[Twisted-Python] patches to make gtk2manhole work with gtk2

David E. Konerding dekonerding at lbl.gov
Tue Nov 22 16:40:13 EST 2005

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 12:54 -0800, David E. Konerding wrote:
>

>>Hi, in attempting to use gtk2manhole I had some problems.  It looks like
>>it was written on a much older version of gtk2,
>>here are patches I applied (they are not complete, merely sufficient to
>>start the application):
>>

>Hi,
>
>IIRC that version of manhole is deprecated; possibly that should be
>removed from the repository? Or maybe i'm confused. In any case, could
>you open an issue in the tracker - http://twistedmatrix.com/bugs/?
>Thanks.

I assume you're referring to the fact that Twisted conch provides a
replacement for the manhole support in
base Twisted.  It's confusing conch claims to be:

"...an SSHv2 implementation written in Python. SSH is a protocol
designed to allow remote access to shells and commands, but it is
generic enough to allow everything from TCP forwarding to generic
filesystem access.",

while the manhole code in base Twisted provides a telnet server/client
which allows console access to a Twisted server, and also provides
a very powerful PB-based graphical inspection took (gtkmanhole and
gtk2manhole).  I didn't see any gtkmanhole support in Twisted conch, but
now that I look more closely, I do see a 'tkconch' which seems to have
an overlapping function.  Further, there is no indication in the Twisted
source that the non-conch manhole is deprecated, although that seems to
be implicit from the text on the conch site:
"... A new implementation of Twisted's Manhole application is also
included, featuring server-side input history and interactive syntax
coloring."
It's further confusing, because conch is an ssh/telnet library, so I
can't see why the manhole support should be there (it would seem logical
that manhole should be a sibling project to conch that depends on it and
Twisted base.

In particular, I want to use the Gnome Canvas object browser
(twisted.manhole.ui.spelunk_gnome), which unfortunately only appears to
be support in gtkmanhole, not gtk2manhole, and certainly not in conch.

My patches were specifically for the twisted.manhole.ui.gtkmanhole and I
can open an issue for them if twisted.manhole isn't really
deprecated.

Dave