[Twisted-Python] unix signals and twistd

Phil Christensen phil at bubblehouse.org
Mon Nov 21 12:16:27 EST 2005

Hey all,

I've got a Twistd application that maintains a datafile separate from
the serialized app stored in the .tap file. I've set it up to
automatically load this file at startup, and save it at shutdown, but
I'd like to implement a way to do incremental saves while the server
is running.

The ideal setup would be to listen for a signal; I could then either
run a cron script, or use some other external app. I've listened for
signals in other python apps, but I thought I'd check to see if there
was a preferred way to do it in Twisted.

Also, I know there are a number of signals that twistd itself listens
for, and I think it'd probably be best if I stayed away from those. I
know the man page for twistd says it listens for SIGUSR1/2, and
obviously it catches SIGTERM; are there any others I've missed?

Thanks in advance,

-phil