[Twisted-Python] Using pb/jelly for large objects

william.lewis at uk.bnpparibas.com william.lewis at uk.bnpparibas.com
Wed Nov 9 05:54:29 EST 2005

Hi,

I am looking to build a system that runs multiple processes across a LAN
of win32 machines. The processes will be initialised with a large amount
of data at startup, followed by many more smaller chunks of data with the
results being returned across the network. I would like to
represent/transfer the data using your pb.Copyable and/or pb.Cacheable
objects. My main question relates to the fact that pb uses jelly to
serialise these objects. Particularly the comments at the top of the jelly
module that emphasise the fact that jelly should have a lot more
optimization in order to gain acceptable large-scale performance and that,
compared to pickle, jelly is a more portable, human readable, less
efficient mechanism.

So, would you use pb/jelly for transferring large chunks of data (e.g.
~10s MB) to multiple nodes on a LAN?
If not, could pb be used with, for example, pickle instead of jelly?
Also, I notice that the pb, jelly and flavors modules are all classified
as semi-stable. Could you give an indication of what this means in
practice?

Thank you for your time. I think you have built a very useful/powerful
framework and am looking forward to using it.

Regards,

Will Lewis

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority