[Twisted-Python] Remove setupClass branch of trial - what is the motivation?

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Mon Nov 7 03:50:43 EST 2005

On 02/11/05, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:38:21 -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> >On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:47:09 -0500, Itamar Shtull-Trauring
> ><itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Still haven't gotten an answer to this; why is the motivation for
> >>deprecating a perfectly reasonable feature?
> >
> >FWIW, I also would like to know the answer to this question.
>
> Yeah, uh...
>
> As I understand it the implementation was previously horrendously broken.  Now it is not.  Given that it is now no longer broken, and some quite reasonable tests I've seen make use of it (in particular: tests for Divmod ClickChronicle do some very expensive setup in a setUpClass), I'd like to see it stick around.

Another thing I totally forgot.

setUpClass assumes that there is only one instance of each TestCase
subclass.  This is a broken assumption, because a TestCase instance
represents a single test.  Currently, the implentation is horrendous
(take a look).

I'd be much happier if setUpClass were a class method.

jml