[Twisted-Python] Python 2.2 Support

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 20:14:08 EST 2005

On 11/6/05, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:00:14 +1100, Christopher Armstrong <radeex at gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 10/11/05, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:
> >> Should we drop Python 2.2 support in Subversion head for Twisted 2.2?
> >
> >I consider this issue resolved, given the lack of response for people
> >wanting 2.2 support. The buildslave for 2.2 should be taken down and
> >Twisted trunk should be considered fair for 2.3-only features.
>
> Lack of interest in a change doesn't dictate that the change be made.  I didn't hear anyone come out against the change _or_ for it.
>
> If it will help, I'll throw in against dropping 2.2 support.  Neither 2.3 nor 2.4 introduce any compelling new features.

You are confused. At least two people were *for* dropping 2.2 support
in this thread, and nobody was against it. I'm pretty sure several
others have been for dropping it on IRC, as well.

I have seen people several times commit code that requires 2.3,
realize that the buildbot failed, and replace the code with a more
complicated version (didn't you do this recently yourself, Jp?). I
personally find it harder and harder to test 2.2, as finding an
installation of 2.2 is getting rarer these days. To unshamedly list
features from the "What's new in Python 2.3" article:

- Sets
- Proper booleans (2.2.0 didn't even have the "True" and "False" constants)
- enumerate
- csv
- generators without __future__
- sum
- callable types
- horrible obscure Python2.2-only bugs and semantics changes gone
- str in str
- arguments-to-strip

These are all pretty minor (apart from the "horrible obscure" things),
but the sum() of them adds up to a lot of annoyance in support when no
users have actually thrown in for it.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
            |  Release Manager, Twisted Project
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
   |o O|    |