[Twisted-Python] twisted and network condition testing

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri May 20 10:36:55 MDT 2005

Hi,

While working on Flumotion I've realized there are quite a few
conditions in real-life networks that I need to deal with and my
experience is fairly limited.  What can I say, I lived in a perfect
world before :)

All sorts of things trip up our application: machine lockups (where the
other end doesn't realize the connection is broken), temporary routing
problems, adsl connections being dropped, ...

After doing a lot of ad-hoc hacking to solve all those issues, I've
realized I'd better work on my understanding of the problem first, and
see how twisted behaves under these conditions, and what can be done.

I'm sure other people writing networked apps have gone through similar
issues, so what I'd like to know is:

- are there any good resources that explain all of the things that could
go wrong, what sort of conditions are similar (e.g. I assume you can use
iptables rules to simulate routing problems), which I need to worry
about, ... Any good networking overview book I should be taking to
heart ?
- have people done this sort of thing with Twisted ?
- are there any tools people are familiar with to simulate networking
problems ? In the case of machine lockup, my best idea right now for
example is to actually have a vmware virtual host lock up its kernel
with a silly kernel module.

Any help is appreciated,
Thomas

Another Love Song