[Twisted-Python] Alarm collection and display system?

Brett Viren bv at bnl.gov
Wed May 18 12:25:35 MDT 2005

Hi,

Our experiment has need for a pseudo real-time (prompt) networked
alarm collection and display system.  Before just diving in and
writing something I thought I'd best try to see if anything is out
there and Twisted certainly seems a fertile enough framework to have
had at least one such system sprouted already.

What we have is several, independent processes all of which can raise
problems of varying degrees of severity.  Most of the alarm producers
are written in differing languages and frameworks and are scattered
over different computers (some in different states).

We want to centralize these alarms and then serve them to one or more
consumers.  Ideally alarms are "pushed" to consumers rather than
needing to poll so as to minimize latency between production and
consumption.  But, because some consumers will be behind firewalls the
consumers should initiate the connection.

Anything already fit this bill or come close?  If we do end up rolling
our own, any suggestions to get us started in the right direction?

Thanks,
-Brett.