[Twisted-Python] pending twisted fixes

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Wed May 11 23:02:14 MDT 2005

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> These are the pending fixes for twisted that I'm maintaining on my tree.

Thanks for reporting these, especially the fix backports.  I guess
Twisted is a big enough project now that we need to start doing
maintenance release trees!

> The transport.disconnecting was said not to be available for all
> twisted transports, but then it should be added to the others instead of
> my rejecting my patch with that argument (those basic.py protocols are
> broken without this fix, so it's better that they fail with a visible
> exception than subtly at runtime), or another method should be
> implemented to know if the transport has disconnected already.

Hmm.  True enough.

I've seen this problem before but not thought too hard about it.
Considering it now, I think the right solution is to add a
'disconnecting' attribute to ITransport, and fix all current Twisted
ITransport implementations to include it.  I know that this is about to
become an issue for me with Q2Q.

(Also, should we maybe have a distinction between IStreamTransport and
IDatagramTransport, rather than just ITCPTransport/IUDPTransport?  or at
least some attributes to introspect, like ".reliable" and ".ordered"?)