[Twisted-Python] Re: Hanging test cases (Was: Evangelism notes...)

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Wed May 11 17:47:02 MDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 4:28 PM, David Bolen wrote:

> Jp Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:
>
> (...)
>
>> It may be the case that none of the bugs in trial synchronous
>> result utilities cause problems for you.  If they don't, I can
>> understand how it would not be a big priority for you to move away
>> from them (after all, I'm sure you have plenty of things that *are*
>> causing you problems now that you would much rather spend time on).
>> I recommend simply keeping this conversation in mind if and when you
>> run into problems with your use of deferredResult and deferredError
>> in the future and that you not let such problems take you by
>> surprise.  You can rest relatively easily in the knowledge that
>> deferredResult and friends will not disappear from Twisted
>> overnight.  Broken as they are, they are clearly part of a public
>> API and so will remain long enough to satisfy backwards
>> compatibility requirements.
>>

> Seems like as good a way as any to end this thread for me, since I
> definitely agree with the above.  And yes, I'm aware (or believe I am)
> of the risks I may be incurring by using these methods, as well as
> using unittest rather than trial, and will certainly continue to
> follow Twisted actively to hopefully catch changes that may impact my
> current choices.

I'll chime in with a "me, too" here.

It might also be nice to add some kind of warning to the __doc__
strings for the 3 methods in question. There are caveats in wait()'s
doc, but they weren't sufficient to scare me away, for one :).

--Grant

Grant Baillie
Open Source Applications Foundation
http://www.osafoundation.org