[Twisted-Python] Re: Hanging test cases (Was: Evangelism notes...)

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed May 11 17:28:59 MDT 2005

Jp Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:

(...)
> It may be the case that none of the bugs in trial synchronous
> result utilities cause problems for you.  If they don't, I can
> understand how it would not be a big priority for you to move away
> from them (after all, I'm sure you have plenty of things that *are*
> causing you problems now that you would much rather spend time on).
> I recommend simply keeping this conversation in mind if and when you
> run into problems with your use of deferredResult and deferredError
> in the future and that you not let such problems take you by
> surprise.  You can rest relatively easily in the knowledge that
> deferredResult and friends will not disappear from Twisted
> overnight.  Broken as they are, they are clearly part of a public
> API and so will remain long enough to satisfy backwards
> compatibility requirements.

Seems like as good a way as any to end this thread for me, since I
definitely agree with the above.  And yes, I'm aware (or believe I am)
of the risks I may be incurring by using these methods, as well as
using unittest rather than trial, and will certainly continue to
follow Twisted actively to hopefully catch changes that may impact my
current choices.

-- David