[Twisted-Python] Evangelism notes...

Eugene Coetzee projects at reedflute.com
Fri May 6 15:18:37 MDT 2005

Jeff Grimmett wrote:

> Yes, I find having the source code useful. Usually it's because the
> documentation leaves a fine point unclear; examining the source may
> resolve the confusion.

Perhaps we disagree radically about the usefulness of having the source
code,being able to read it, and the ablility to recompile and rebuild
the framework yourself.

> But the source code should not be a crutch to support incomplete
> documentation - not if you want to go toe to toe with the big dogs.

I googled around with "networking framework" a few times in my life. Who
are the "big dogs"  when it comes to  networking frameworks. In the past
I wrote everything myself using raw C++ sockets,  MFC or vanilla
java.net. I have also been bitten badly by the "big dogs" - having to
dig through a MSDN "knowledge base" of thousands of "known bugs" before
I finally discovered that it *could* be fixed with next release. I
honestly cannot say that Twisted is outclassed in this area, at least I
can fix the bugs myself.

Eugene Coetzee

Web                 -> www.reedflute.com