Jabber (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Closing Jabber connection)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Wed May 4 15:42:53 MDT 2005

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 10:53:46AM -0400, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> Thanks! I realize this is probably a bigger effort than I can imagine
> now. I'm not wedded to any packaging structure, really. The most
> important thing right now is getting the code out there.

I'd estimate ten years, as with any such project :) -
http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html

> Most of my longish message was thinking out loud and certainly helped me
> to get an idea of a restructuring of the code. Also, I can follow the
> reasoning of keeping it inside Words at the moment. We'll see where that
> leaves Xish, but let's not get ahead of myself.

Double-awesome!

> I must admit that I haven't really looked into the rest of Words, but if
> I understand you correctly the development there is stagnant.

Yes.  I was the original developer, and as far as I know very little has
happened since I was working on it.  The chat client part of words still
  uses 1.0-era deprecated APIs, and has a gtk1 user interface!

Much of the code's design is also horrible, as it was written more as a
proof of concept.  Still, I strongly believe that words is where a good
bit of Twisted's potential lies.  A lot of what's being done with
Twisted now could theoretically be done with apache, but once chat
protocols start getting into the mix there are very few things that can
compete.