[Twisted-Python] Evangelism notes...

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Wed May 4 14:50:50 MDT 2005

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:08 -0400, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:

>>          o What do we call to shutdown the threadpool?  I don't
>>            remember, let's check the reference docs... 20 minutes of
>>            searching for the 2.0 reference docs (with the entire
>>            company watching this)... finally ask on IRC... told to
>>            build them myself and contribute them.  Cute, but didn't
>>            really drive home the whole "robust, professional,
>>            well-documented platform on which to develop business
>>            systems" meme as much as I'd hoped.

> There's a problem with generating API docs with current release.
> Something to do with zope.interface. We did not decide not to build them
> just to annoy you.

Mike, I'm sorry that Twisted was a part of such a horrible experience
for you!  Thanks for sharing the experience, but evangelism tip #1 that
I get from the initial reading is from the real-time, public bit at the end.

   - Do not ever, ever use IRC in a public forum to solve a problem in
real-time.  In fact, do not ever use any support mechanism in a public
forum unless you or your company has a paid relationship with the people
on the other end of the wire.

   - Do not ever expect to be able to fix a threading bug in less than 2
days.