[Twisted-Python] clustering or process group replication

Laran Evans lc278 at cornell.edu
Thu May 26 21:52:20 EDT 2005

Hmmm. Well, it sounds like there's a bit of interest here. I'm game for
starting a discussion about what such a toolkit might look like if
anyone else is interested.

There are plenty of toolkits that do this sort of thing. But I'm
interested in building one from scratch. And it seems like there's
already a lot to Twister to plug into.

If any of the Twister admins have any suggestions, objections or
otherwise they would be appreciated. If you're not interested in
building something like this into Twister it can always be done in parallel.

- Laran

Darran Edmundson wrote:

> On 27/05/2005, at 2:34 AM, Laran Evans wrote:
>
>> Would there be any value to developing such a system? Have you  found
>> what you built for work valuable?
>>
>> Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
>>
>>> I've built a reliable multicast (1->N ordered reliable message
>>> delivery,
>>> NACK-based, with congestion control) system for work using Twisted  and
>>> the Fusion C++ Twisted bindings (http://itamarst.org/software/),  but it
>>> is not open source.
>>>

> Useful?  Wow, this is *exactly* what we are after for use within the
> Access Grid (www.accessgrid.org).
> This community has invested a lot of time in getting multicast
> connectivity between the 200+ sites
> currently involved.  Ie., we've got the network backbone.  At the
> moment we are only using multicast
> for the RTP media transport (the old mbone tools vic and rat, the  newer
> VideoPresence tool VP).  It would
> be great though to have a framework reliable message delivery over
> multicast for some of the
> lighter weight collaborative tools we are building.  At the moment,
> AccessGrid uses a centralized
> VenueServer and TCP for coordinating sessions.
>
> Cheers,
> darran.
>
> Darran Edmundson (darran.edmundson at anu.edu.au)
> ANU Supercomputer Facility Vizlab
> Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 2600
> tel: +61 2 6125-0517  fax: +61 2 6125-5088

- Laran Evans