[Twisted-Python] Evangelism notes...

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Wed May 4 17:33:40 EDT 2005

Stephen Waterbury wrote:

> Although I missed the IRC
> conversation, Mike's email certainly described a situation
> that anyone would have found frustrating -- and to me it did
> not appear to be an indictment of Twisted so much as simply a
> cautionary tale, and a useful one.  It's reality.

A grim reality indeed.  I myself have been in this situation (and even
been accused of being a shyster!) and it is a very hard one to get out of.

As Steve points out, there is a general-purpose learning here, but there
is also the issue that given Twisted's technological maturity, users are
beginning to expect a certain level of polish and sophistication from
our web presence, our marketing materials and our documentation which
just isn't there.

Worse, this is a long-standing problem I don't see any effort underway
to rectify it.  Other open-source projects have gotten to this point and
found huge, helpful teams of busy bees to fix the website, keep the
documents up to date, wrangle the release notes and annotate the
development process.  Some projects are worse - I've recently had an
experience with the linux cifs client project website that made me feel
really good about our web presence :-) - but we could do better.

That said, as it is I think the Twisted team is doing a great job at
making Twisted, and we don't have any more resources or people to spend
on other stuff.  That's not to say we can't spot-fix the biggest
problems with our website (like the API documentation problem) but ...
where do these helpful people come from for other projects?  I would
estimate that Twisted has tens of thousands of users by now, but the
community is still oddly silent.

I'm genuinely baffled as to how to proceed.  Is there anyone out there
who can contribute some significant time to updating our "professional"
presence on the web and elsewhere?