[Twisted-Python] Evangelism notes...

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed May 4 17:09:14 EDT 2005

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:08 -0400, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
>

>>          o What do we call to shutdown the threadpool?  I don't
>>            remember, let's check the reference docs... 20 minutes of
>>            searching for the 2.0 reference docs (with the entire
>>            company watching this)... finally ask on IRC... told to
>>            build them myself and contribute them.  Cute, but didn't
>>            really drive home the whole "robust, professional,
>>            well-documented platform on which to develop business
>>            systems" meme as much as I'd hoped.
>>

>There's a problem with generating API docs with current release.
>Something to do with zope.interface. We did not decide not to build them
>just to annoy you.

Oh, I didn't think you did it just to be annoying :) , but now that you
bring up the possibility, I wonder ;) .  How did you know that *I* would
be the one to fall into the trap, that's what I want to know!  You are a
far more devious trickster than I would have imagined... :)

I was just expressing my frustration at losing "mind-share" for Twisted
within the company.  Just another of those "all things being fine, no
big deal, but not the right time to discover this" when people are in
the middle of debating dropping the system.  I'm not ticked off at you
guys, you do what you have time to do.  I *am* kind of annoyed at myself
for not handling the situation better.

I *would* suggest a link on the homepage just saying "documentation".
Saying "old documents" implies that there are new ones somewhere.
Having that link in the "Developers" menu would be good too, when the
new docs are out, update those links to point to them.  We would have
been fine with the 1.3 docs (it's what we eventually used) for solving
the first problem, but seeing "old documents" we had 3 people sitting
around suggesting ways to find the new documents relating to the version
we were using.

Enjoy yourself,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher