Jabber (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Closing Jabber connection)

Ralph Meijer twisted at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed May 4 14:51:38 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 10:53:46AM -0400, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> Let me reply to the last thing you said first:
>
> Ralph Meijer wrote:
>
> >There is no support for server-to-server connections and the server side
> >of client-to-server and server component connections, yet. Having that,
> >would be really great, though.
>
> > While writing this, I decided I'd like to work on all this and help is
> > of course appreciated.
>
> Awesome.  I hope that my feelings about packaging and distribution don't
> discourage you!  Words badly needs a dedicated maintainer and Jabber
> would be a great place to start, and probably not a bad model to
> structure the whole messaging system around.
> [..]

Thanks! I realize this is probably a bigger effort than I can imagine
now. I'm not wedded to any packaging structure, really. The most
important thing right now is getting the code out there.

Most of my longish message was thinking out loud and certainly helped me
to get an idea of a restructuring of the code. Also, I can follow the
reasoning of keeping it inside Words at the moment. We'll see where that
leaves Xish, but let's not get ahead of myself.

I must admit that I haven't really looked into the rest of Words, but if
I understand you correctly the development there is stagnant. That's a
shame, but we can see that in the Jabber community as well: there are
very few people that bother to work on Gateways to other IM networks.
The bright side to that story is that from what I can see, the
development that /is/ there is implemented using Twisted :-)

Let's get coding.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm