Jabber (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Closing Jabber connection)

Tim Terlegård tim at se.linux.org
Wed May 4 09:08:29 EDT 2005

> > I can see your point and understand that people thinking of Jabber
> > believe it must be in Words, but my initial remark on it not belonging
> > there has more to do with that most of the current code doesn't belong
> > where it is now.
>
> In a puritanical "Each layer of abstraction should get its own
> subproject" view, you're right, but I think that we shouldn't add
> undue complexity to the project and confusion for people trying to
> understand Twisted by adding more projects when they're unnecessary.
> Therefore, I suggest keeping all of this stuff in twisted.words until
> it'd actually be useful to users (developers) to split off. i.e., when
> people start wanting to make apps based on XMPP that don't use any
> chat stuff.

I think it depends on the goals of this implementation. If this is a
serious effort and we'd like this to be the "official" implementation of
jabber in python, then I think XMPP Core and XMPP IM deserves to be
seperate projects. Jabber with all JEPs would mean quite some code.
If this only will be a minimal chat implementation, then I think words
would suffice.

Tim