Jabber (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Closing Jabber connection)

Christopher Zorn christopher.zorn at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:49:17 EDT 2005

On 5/3/05, Ralph Meijer <twisted at ralphm.ik.nu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 01:14:43PM +0200, Tim Terlegård wrote:
> > > By the way, as maintainer of the Jabber stuff in Twisted I can say that
> > > there a fair number of issues in the twisted 1.3 implementation. All of
> > > them have all been resolved in 2.0, and I strongly recommend you to
> > > migrate your work to this.
> >
> > What are the (short-term and long-term) plans for this Jabber
> > implementation? Full jabber implementation? Implement as many JEPs as
> > possible?
>
> Well, my first goal was to make sure the existing stuff works correctly.
> An example is having a good stringprep implementation for JIDs.  This is
> mostly done now.
>
> The currently available code is usable to base any application on, but
> everything deals in domish Element objects. There are no higher level
> abstractions, yet, but some developers like it that way.
>
> There is no real plan on how to proceed, also because I have no idea of
> what is desired. So, any suggestions are welcome. Also, I am a bit
> curious about what the Jabber support in Twisted is currently used for.
> My current development efforts revolve around Idavoll (a generic publish
> subscribe component following JEP-0060) and Mimír (a Jabber enabled news
> service).

I use it for various small projects, mostly bots and components. I
also use it for
punjab ( http://punjab.sf.net ). I would like to see other JEPS (muc
would be cool), maybe some server stuff, and an authenticator with
sasl. I may make an attempt with some of this stuff. I will submit
what I do to the list. Is that ok?