[Twisted-Python] PyICQ-t and Twisted Was: How to uninstall Twisted 2.0?

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 06:14:41 MST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:56:28 -0500 (EST), Daniel Henninger
<jadestorm at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> > Well, since I know (of) pyicq-t, you might first want to look into the
> > fact that you have all xish and jabber support (from 1.3, with my personal
> > patches) in the tlib directory, so you are mixing Twisted 1.3 and 2.0
> > here.

> oscar.py I explicitly pulled out after talking to the author.  I was also
> to understand that the chat stuff was being pulled from Twisted core into
> something else, so it appeared that pulling the jabber stuff was also
> important.  Is this not true?  Domish was more of a "the current state was
> causing us problems so we needed a fix" issue I believe.  Maybe this is a
> good time to simply ask:

Not so much "pulled from Twisted" as "Twisted being pulled apart". See
http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/upgrades/2.0/split.xhtml
for more information.

> jabber tree... will this stay with Twisted core?  i'm not sure there is
> anything we've actually changed with this tree.
> oscar.py... is this indeed being pulled out?  We've done quite a few
> enhancements to it so it's far from what it was in Twisted.  (at some
> point when I consider it stable, I was going to send it back to the author
> if he was interested)
> msn.py... similar situation to oscar.py
> domish.py/xmlstream.py... these are obviously important parts of twisted
> itself but that weren't working well as is.  I can get more details on
> this.  If both are fixed well in Twisted 2.0, we may be able to begin
> pulling out tlib stuff and tell people to use Twisted 2.0 instead.  All in
> all, we would like to be able to point people at a release, not an svn
> tree.  Besides, I've run into numerous people that don't have/want svn
> installed ( =( ), or who's company/whatever firewalls prevented getting to
> svn trees.

None of this stuff is in "Twisted Core" any more, however, the chat
stuff is all in Twisted Words
(http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/words) and domish is in Twisted
Xish (http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/xish). This split is to help
us remain agile in project management / release / development, so I
urge you not to look on it as a bad thing. Being pulled out of the
core is probably going to *help* you. And 2.0 is going to be released
any day now (I was going to release the third prerelease today, but
ran into a bug. It'll go out tomorrow. The actual release will go out
shortly afterward).

> Would it help if I popped in the irc chatroom for a bit to discuss these
> things 'in person'?

Not a bad idea.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
w----v----w-+    -- http://hackingsociety.org/chapters/hash