[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r13090 - Use ThreadedResolver instead of BlockingResolver by default - the thread import issue is moot, PyOpenSSL imports thread unconditionally.

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Mar 8 18:58:34 MST 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:06:49 -0500, Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 19:18 +0000, Jp Calderone wrote:
>
> >   I don't have access to a platform without threading support.  There
> > isn't even a buildslave running on one.
>
> That doesn't mean you ought to *break* it. Can't you put the
> installation of ThreadedResolver in as a try/except over import thread?
> Or can we have twisted.python.runtime.threadingSupported()? or
> something. But we oughtn't break support for non-threaded platforms when
> it's easy enough to test for it (sys.module["thread"] = None and then
> run code as usual).

  Yes.  There are lots of ways it could work.  How can I implement any of them, though, if I can't run a unit test and have it pass?

  I could probably figure out a way to get it working without a buildslave, but this goes to a larger issue.  I'm not going to waste my time trying to support a feature that we think we would like to support.  Either we want to support it, in which case we need to test it, or we don't.

  Anyway, I've had an idea while reading the posts in this thread.  Python can be compiled without thread support intentionally.

  Anyone want to volunteer a reliable host on which to run such a slave?

  Jp