[Twisted-Python] ANN: Twisted version 2.0

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:40:30 EST 2005

http://twistedmatrix.com/

TASMANIA (DP) -- Found on the Internet on 2005-03-22 by an anonymous
programmer, Twisted 2.0 was obtained by local authorities and kept
isolated for public safety and further study.  On 2005-03-25, however,
nano-probes were released from the package's surface and propagated
the software to the public.

Version 2.0 is said to have originated from ancient underground ruins
somewhere in Australia, but their existence has not yet been verified.
Christopher Armstrong, enslaved release archaeologist, was only able
to say "Aieeya!  Release??  What release?  I just found this here
tablet under some sand.  Ia!"  Project lead Glyph Lefkowitz was not
available for comment, as he has fled the planet in fear of the
repercussions of the software's new release.

Record-keeper Mary Gardiner said "It will be interesting to see if the
Twisted Sumo distribution collapses into a singularity.  I guess
there's a potential that Earth will be destroyed."

As of this release, radix's soul, which has been included in Twisted
since version 0.8.0, has been split off from the main project and
given back to him to maintain in a separate sub-project.

----

Twisted 2.0 is a major upgrade, changing many things not only in the
code but also in the structure of the project.  As of 2.0, Twisted was
split up into many sub-projects which you can read about in the
Twisted Split FAQ[1].

2.0 also marks the first release including the migration to the Zope
Interface framework as opposed to Twisted's own built-in
interface/adapter system.  Another FAQ was made available[2] for those
curious about the change.

Many, tons, and lots of other changes have been made in this release.
The NEWS[3] file contains a high-level overview of most of these
changes.  Changes in now-split subprojects are available on their
individual project pages[4].

Tarballs are currently available at the twistedmatrix.com site, and
packages for win32, Debian, and other OSes are currently on the way.

1: http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/upgrades/2.0/split.html
2: http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/upgrades/2.0/components.html
3: http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/NEWS.txt
4: http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/
----

WHAT IS TWISTED?

Twisted is an event-based framework for internet applications which
works on Python 2.2.X and 2.3.X.  The following are the (important)
modules included with Twisted:

  - twisted.application
    A "Service" system that allows you to organize your application in
    hierarchies with well-defined startup and dependency semantics,
  - twisted.cred
    A general credentials and authentication system that facilitates
    pluggable authentication backends,
  - twisted.enterprise
    Asynchronous database access, compatible with any Python DBAPI2.0
    modules,
  - twisted.internet
    Low-level asynchronous networking APIs that allow you to define
    your own protocols that run over certain transports,
  - twisted.manhole
    A tool for remote debugging of your services which gives you a
    Python interactive interpreter,
  - twisted.protocols
    Basic protocol implementations and helpers for your own protocol
    implementations,
  - twisted.python
    A large set of utilities for Python tricks, reflection, text
    processing, and anything else,
  - twisted.spread
    A secure, fast remote object system,
  - twisted.trial
    A unit testing framework that integrates well with Twisted-based code.

Twisted supports integration of the Tk, GTK+, GTK+ 2, Qt, Mac OS X, or
wxPython event loop with its main event loop. The Win32 event loop is
also supported.

For more information, visit http://www.twistedmatrix.com, or join the
list at

There are many official Twisted subprojects, including clients and
servers for web, mail, DNS, and more. You can find out more about
these projects at http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
w----v----w-+    -- http://hackingsociety.org/chapters/hash