[Twisted-Python] looping in a non-blocking way

Eugene Coetzee projects at reedflute.com
Thu Mar 24 04:01:12 EST 2005

Hi everybody.

I have an application where I have  several polling protocol instances
servicing an array of COM ports driven by  timers using
reactor.callLater with typically 50 millisecond timing constants.  I'm
also using  FTP client protocol instances to concurrently  refresh
locally cached data from ftp servers. These files may be quite large and
during the text parsing routines I end up with blocking loops which are
undesirable.

Text files my be parsed in a loop with something like:

def importFromText(self,data):
               datalines=data.split("\r\n")
                for line in datalines:
                        arrin=[]
                        arrin.insert(0,line[0:10])
                        etc....

For large files the above blocks - starving the other COM port protocols
drivers of processing time.

I have tried to "yield" to the reactor by calling reactor.iterate() in
the above loop trying to do what you would normally accomplish with
sleep(0) in a multithreaded  application. This solution seemed to
partially solve the problem but I'm experiencing intermittent  stability
problems with my polling protocol drivers that are normally quite
robust  simply hanging up.

I'm now considering rewriting the above loop as a recursive function
using reactor.callLater(0,recursiveTexParsingFunction(params)).

I'm aware of twisted.flow but the examples given are a bit sparse and
obscure and having tried something like
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.flow.flow.html -
it appears I don't understand how to apply twisted.flow
(iterators/coroutines) solve my particular problem.

I hope I'm missing something obvious and more elegant since the above
possible solutions seems like a lot of rework to solve a very simple
problem.

Any thoughts/advise would be much appreciated.

regards,

Eugene Coetzee

Web                 -> www.reedflute.com