[Twisted-Python] Problem: spawnProcess() never ending when installSignalHandlers=False

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue Jun 14 14:22:13 MDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 10:45 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> I don't like the "let's never change anything because someone might
> be using it somewhere" approach that we've been taking.  When we're
> making minor changes it's good but over time (especially given the
> sprawling nature of Twisted and the lack of any documentation on
> the state of its entirety) means tha we leave chunks of deprecated
> or semi-deprecated APIs around forever.

That points to a need to better track deprecated APIs and when they
are planned to be removed, not to a need to break things more.
Stability is good, and without an easy way to verify conformance, it
is dangerous to say that stability in undocumented interfaces is
unimportant. It believe that an undocumented interface should be
considered less important to keep stable, but it should still be done
if possible. This is especially true in the twisted core, vs the
various protocol packages, most of which are significantly less well
developed and in some cases just have stupidly broken APIs.

For this particular case, I can't think of any reason why an
installSignalHandlers=0 argument would ever need to be removed.

James