[Twisted-Python] Problem: spawnProcess() never ending when installSignalHandlers=False

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Tue Jun 14 08:45:39 MDT 2005

James Y Knight wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2005, at 11:40 PM, Matt Feifarek wrote:

> I'd suggest continuing to do it the way you are currently. While
> installSignalHandlers may be undocumented, it's not just going to
> disappear overnight. If you use that parameter and
> task.LoopingCall(process.reapAllProcesses).start(1.0, now=False)
> then I'd say you're on fairly safe ground for the immediate future.
>
> Overall we do a good job of keeping backwards compatibility even for
> APIs that may not be completely official, so it's unlikely to just up
> and disappear.

Perhaps a better way to handle this would be to create an official API
to handle this problem, then distribute it as an external Python file
you can include, which will have some forward-compatibility code put
into it when newer versions of Twisted come out.

I don't like the "let's never change anything because someone might be
using it somewhere" approach that we've been taking.  When we're making
minor changes it's good but over time (especially given the sprawling
nature of Twisted and the lack of any documentation on the state of its
entirety) means tha we leave chunks of deprecated or semi-deprecated
APIs around forever.