[Twisted-Python] Stopping and restarting the reactor

Brian Granger bgranger at scu.edu
Wed Jun 1 16:58:01 MDT 2005

Hello,

I am using twisted's client capabilities in an interactive setting.  To
allow for interactive work, I have wrapped all my calls to connectTCP
with a class that starts the reactor when a new set of connectTCP calls
is made.  I stop the reactor in the clientConnectionLost method of my
ClientFactory (when there are no more connections).

The first time I initiate a connectTCP call in my wrapper class
everything works as expected:  the reactor is started, twisted does its
stuff, and the ClientFactory stops the reactor (giving me back
interactive controll).  BUT, if I the initiate another connectTCP call,
the reactor starts, but then I get a User Timeout error showing up.
That is, the second time, no connection is made.  My ClientFactory
again stops the reactor (this time in clientConnectionFailed), but then
python hangs.

My question:  is the reactor designed to be started/stopped/restarted
in a single session?  If so, are there any considerations that I am
missing?  Why doesn't the connection get made the second time?

Thanks in advance

Brian

The first time

Brian E. Granger