[Twisted-Python] Accurate delays in callLater

George Sakkis gsakkis at eden.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 23 16:49:06 EDT 2005

Thank you everyone who wrote back,

>From the replies I gather that preemptive scheduling would do the trick.
If it's not provided out-of-the-box in Twisted, is there a way it can be
simulated ? Here's a little more context:
- There are two processes involved, one for a single server and the other
for a small number (2-22, in my case 5) of clients. Twisted controls the
client side. Each client:
    - communicates asynchronously with the server through UDP. Clients
don't talk to each other directly.
    - expects two (actually more but two are the important) types of
messages, say 'feel' and 'see'.
    - when 'feel' is received, it schedules a call with a delay of 50-90
ms. It also updates itself, a computationally light procedure (at least
for now).
    - when 'see' is received, it updates itself accordingly; this *is* cpu
intensive and most time is spent at an extension's module code (by the
way, it would be very helpful if I could optimize the extension but I
don't know how to profile it; any help here would be great).

Normally 'feel' messages arrive every 100ms and 'see' every 150ms. That's
more or less what I observe when the processing of 'see' is turned off.
When it is on however, messages are received with bursts, e.g. 7 'feel'
messages within 200ms instead of 2. This is surprising because if I
believe the profiler, 'see' is usually processed in 25 to 55ms, so a delay
of 60ms should be long enough. Is it going to help if the processing of
'see' is dispatched in a separate thread ?

George