[Twisted-Python] User manipulation question....

Dmitry S. Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Tue Jun 7 15:47:31 EDT 2005

Hi,
First of all I'm using akadav1 which is library/application built on
top of Twisted thus I post my question here.
I'm trying to make "akadav1" work "the way I like" and I face problem:
I want akadav1 server to write out Files with permissions of
currently connected user. Meaning that I'd like to run server as some
regular user (say 'akadav') and when it operates on files do
setuid(<currentl_user>) before any operation so it behaves same way
as normal operation on FS would for that user. I came down to
Resource class and see it possibly could be done extending this
class.
My problem right now is that I can't run server as unprivileged user
and switch to other user's accounts. That would mean that I'd
probably need:
1. run server as privileged user so I can setuid(...) any time I want
or
2. run two threads or so so that one thread is superuser-owned and the
other one (the one that responds to requests) is non-privileged.
First one will handle file operations since it can change uid
on-the-flight and come back to normal.

I would prefer to implement second solution but I'm puzzled on where
to start. Does twisted provide such capabilities out-of-the-box?

I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me on reply.

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator