[Twisted-Python] tac and tap in the same file

Andrea Arcangeli andrea at cpushare.com
Sun Jan 30 16:48:50 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 12:28:09PM -0500, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 13:24 +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
> > I heard that, but I didn't want to reinvent the wheel on the -u/-g and
> > Options() parameters that are already handled by mktap.
>
> It's possible to set uid and gid in TACs. Just needs better
> documentation. Also arguably those options ought to be twistd, not
> mktap/tacs :/

This is exactly the point, they ought to be twistd. I know I can set uid
and gid as parameter to the application, but I'd need to change
sourcecode to do that, the point of reconfiguring is to avoid changing
sourcecode.

The Options() are the same problem. I don't want to reinvent a
configuration method when the Options with mktap already exists.

So even all Options() I can give to mktap should be available through
twistd the same way -u/-g should be available to twistd.

It probably can be implemented in a backwards compatible fascion, and I
probably won't have to change a single bit on my app, after those
Options() are moved from mktap to twistd. The Options API already exists
for mktap, we've only to extend it to the tac file too.

Anyway as said for now the mktap is ok for deployment where recreating
the tap file happens not frequently at all, but I'd also prefer to avoid
the pickling since I'm not getting any advantage from the tap file at
all and it only wastes some cpu.

Thanks.