[Twisted-Python] tac and tap in the same file

Andrea Arcangeli andrea at cpushare.com
Sun Jan 30 07:24:12 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:46:12PM -0500, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 15:43 +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > While I appreciate the tweaking of the tap file for production usage,
> > during development it's more handy to use a tac file and avoid the
> > pickling that otherwise would happen too frequently for every test.
>
> Personally I feel mktap should not be used until we come up with a
> better runtime configuration system. TACs seem like the best deployment
> method, for now.

I heard that, but I didn't want to reinvent the wheel on the -u/-g and
Options() parameters that are already handled by mktap.

For deployment taps seems ok too since the slow pickling happens only
once in a while. OTOH for testing I use the defaults of Options and I
don't use -u/-g (I run on ports >1024 with the Options() defaults), so I
can avoid the pickling during testing.

So doing both tac and tap in the same file seems a quite handy solution
for me. I mentioned it just because the howto didn't mention it but in
practice it's what I find more handy to use ;).