[Twisted-Python] bad AFS/Twisted interaction (was: Starting MoinMoin as nonroot Linux User)

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Fri Jan 28 11:04:35 EST 2005

On Jan 28, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Chris Hanson wrote:
> I'd like to get this fixed, either by some kind of patch, or by a
> workaround.  Does anyone on the list have any ideas about this?

The right fix is to never try to change or verify the groups list when
not instructed to change userids. Currently twistd defaults its uid/gid
arguments to the current user's UID/GID, and attempts to
setuid/setgid/initialize groups appropriately, which is silly. See also
http://twistedmatrix.com/bugs/issue600.

A quick fix is to comment out twisted/scripts/twistd.py:160:
shedPrivileges(config['euid'], process.uid, process.gid)
which is useless when not running as root.

James