[Twisted-Python] Inheriting from both pb.Cacheable and pb.RemoteCache?

Steve Freitas sflist at ihonk.com
Wed Jan 19 14:46:22 EST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 02:16 am, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > In the PB howto, it mentions that it's typical and fine to get
> > bidirectional synchronization between objects by inheriting from both
> > pb.Copyable and pb.RemoteCopy. Is the case the same when it comes to
> > Cacheable?
>
> I've wondered about it too, and after thinking about it I decided it was
> a bad idea.  In the copy case (which works fine) you get a one-time copy
> through serialization when doing remote methods.  In the Cacheable case
> though, objects get changed on the other side due to changes on the one
> side.
>
> So in practice, what does that mean when side A changes the same object
> as side B ? What do you do with conflicting changes ? It seems to me you
> have no predictable way of resolving clashing changes.  So I ended up
> not wanting to deal with those situations and worked around my need for
> this.

Yeah, my intent is to protect simultaneous changes through a locking
mechanism, which will prevent one client from altering a record while another
client is working on it. (If that sounds like row-level locking to you,
you're right.) Of course, network latencies may allow a conflict to
occasionally occur, in which case the conflict should be detected by the
server and it will do the arbitration to enforce integrity.

But, of course, all this only works nicely if inheriting from Cacheable and
RemoteCache is fine and dandy.

> Now, I do think in practice it will probably work, just not reliably and
> very hard to debug when it doesn't do what you expected.  Write a small
> test app and give it a try.

I was afraid you'd suggest that. :-)

Thanks,

Steve