[Twisted-Python] Deferred style question.

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Jan 7 04:40:27 EST 2005

Say I have an operation that takes a certain amount of time, and so I
return a deferred. While the operation is still in progress, another call is
made for the same operation.

The operation is one of those only-do-once-and-cache-the-results sort of
things. If an operation is called a second time after the first one is done,
defer.succeed(previousResult) is returned. If it's called a second time
while it's still in progress, it returns a deferred that's also triggered with
the result when the operation completes.

Should I just return the same deferred?

Initially I thought 'yes, return the same deferred', but that then relies on
the user-written callback returning the result that it was passed.

Second thought was 'no, return a new deferred', and return a new deferred and
install a callback on the original deferred that triggers a new deferred

But then if the user's callback on the original deferred raises an error, the
second deferred will never be triggered. Or it could simply return another
deferred, and delay the triggering of the second one.

So now I'm leaning towards (on the first call) making two deferreds - one for
the operation, and one to be returned to the user. Then the operation
deferred gets a callback that triggers the user's deferred. Then a second
user call can simply add a new callback to the operation deferred. Any later
calls simply add a callback to the (cached) operation deferred, they'll be
triggered immediately.

Does this make sense? Sample code to demonstrate what I mean is attached.

Anthony