[Twisted-Python] Interactive Twisted client (newbie question?)

Wed Jan 5 13:19:23 EST 2005

Hi Jon,

Interesting that you are implementing Styx with Twisted, I used to
work with Inferno and its father 9P (plan9) back during my Lucent
days.

Are you creating just creating a twisted Styx protocol client to use
with the vitanuova styx server or are you looking to do a server in
twisted as well? Let me know if you are redoing the styx server as
well in twisted, but back to your original problem question...

Keeping thing nice an simple, the pythonic way, I did a similar thing
in Twisted, but using a different method.. From what I can tell from
your post is you *really* want is a twisted styx client that sends
T-messages to a styx server to serve its namespace with R-messages,
and *you* want to interact with the client synchronously.. You also
asked for a better way to implement the client not using callbacks,
but that was not the real issue. For _you_ the real issue is
synchronously communicating _with_the_styx_client from a command
line..

If this assumption is correct then all you have to do is make the styx
client a server as well, for let's say the telnet protocol. Then you
can use a telnet client to connect to the telnet server (which is also
the styx client) and bingo issue commands to the styx server (via the
styx client that is also the telnet server)... Of course you will have
to pass the styx server messages back to the telnet client

Let me know if that answers you problem..

There is even an example in the howto's to setup both a client and
server from one factory

Cheers,

Anthony