[Twisted-Python] Patch to support DNS updates

Tommi Virtanen tv at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Feb 28 15:10:25 MST 2005

Jeff Silver wrote:
>>Also, nice y2.043k trap there, I don't think many have been able to
>>write ones targeting that exact date.
> Hmmm.. Not sure what you mean. If I read the Python 2.4 documentation
> correctly, these numbers will be handled as long integers. The subtraction just
> converts the 4-digit year at the start to 'years since 2000'. Am I missing
> something? If so, please say, and I can handle the year separately.

Size of python data types is pretty irrelevant when DNS SOA serial
number is an unsigned 32-bit number. January 1st, 2043 would be

4301010000
YYMMDDHHMM

which is > 2**32, and thus invalid.

This is all pretty academical, of course. It's just that you've created
a totally new _class_ of y2k-like bugs, with your
YYYYMMDDHHMM - 200000000000 scheme, and I think that's worth some kind
of a prize.