[Twisted-Python] Re: plus mode was Re: how winnt fileops workand what to do about it

Paul G paul-lists at perforge.com
Sat Dec 31 16:04:16 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Paul Calderone" <exarkun at divmod.com>
To: "Twisted general discussion" <twisted-python at twistedmatrix.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Twisted-Python] Re: plus mode was Re: how winnt fileops
workand what to do about it

> This is definitely one of them.  Another is that trial's test_output and
> test_runner try to move a directory aside and fail for some > reason.

they fail for the same reason it looks like. the crux of the issue is that
you can't hold files open if you're going to be performing ops on an
ancestor directory.

>  Another is that some tests assert things about the behavior of files
> opened in 'r+b' mode, which does not behave the same way > on Win32 as on
> POSIX.

this has been resolved (as in cause found and confirmed). also, if you will
excuse me for being pedantically retentive, there is no direct equivalent to
ansi c file stream apis in either win32 or nt native. in fact, neither is
there one on posix. nt/posix is syscalls, win32 is a libc-like layer on top
of ntapi, but completely different. this weirdness is all in the libc. the
issue lies, specifically, with the libc (aka c runtime as they call it)
visual studio provides and its implementation of file streams. i'm willing
to bet that if cpython can be built using something other than visual studio
on windows, those builds do not suffer from the same issue (unless that
product's authors decided to lemming microsoft when writing their libc).

-p