[Twisted-Python] Non-terminating Process using gtkreactor2

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Fri Dec 2 03:07:17 MST 2005

I have a GTK program using twisted 2.1.0 and python 2.4.  On both Linux
and Windows the program reliably fails to terminate after calling
gtk.main_quit() and reactor.stop().  It just sits there.  All the
windows close, but the process remains running.

It will terminate happily if the program has merely been run, but if
"things" have happened, the program refuses to die.  I am guessing that
this is because there are deferreds loitering around unfired, or some
GTK resources remain that refuse to die.

To kill the process after this, it must be sent a KILL signal, TERM is
not sufficient.  On windows it can be killed in the Task Manager
processes tab.

I admit I am at a loss as to how to debug this - can someone give me
some pointers to diagnostics I can try to find out what the problem is?

Cheers,

Doug.

--
doug at isotoma.com   / Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 020 7620 1446 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980