Curb Your Enthusiasm (was Re: Python 2.2 Support has been officially dropped (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Python 2.2 Support))

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Dec 27 10:21:10 EST 2005

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:45:48 +0100, Thomas HERVE <therve at free.fr> wrote:
>Quoting Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com>:
>>Patches that remove usage of the string module will surely be accepted. :)
>
>It would be good : I count 94 occurences of string import in the trunk. I'll
>open a topic.

This is a worthwhile goal since we made the decision to stop importing the string module several years ago, however:

Just because Python2.2 support has been dropped does not mean that we should waste time crawling all over the codebase to update "old" code to the new standard.

1) Somebody might still have to backport it one day.  We aren't going to support that, but neither should we make it unnecessarily difficult.

2) If you're that enthused to do work on Twisted, there are lots of other, more worthwhile projects you could be engaging in.  I'm tempted to write a list, but you know where the bugtracker is.  Let's not make any unnecessary work.  If you're interested in stylistic improvements, one thing you might want to look at is removing uses of deprecated trial APIs such as wait() from the unit tests.

>Ok, thanks for your answer. I miss new-style class for mainly one thing :
>the
>automatic __init__, great for subclasses.

How is __init__ more automatic in new-style classes?  Do you mean super()?

At any rate, when we do start a new-style push, we should probably have a 'from twisted import __metaclass__' at the top of each file, to make updating the codebase to incorporate object-model and/or debugging enhancements easier.