[Twisted-Python] How to make twisted server run as an deamon

Bill Bumgarner bbum at mac.com
Wed Aug 31 20:55:48 MDT 2005

On Aug 31, 2005, at 7:05 PM, EddyXu wrote:
> I need to write an deamon, by using the twisted. But it seems that it
> could not use standard thread module to make it works. Any one can
> give
> me some advice?

You will most likely want to use twistd and write a .tac file that
starts up your server.  Twistd will take care of daemonizing and is
really quite nice.

--- foo.tac ---
from twisted.application import service, internet
import Foo # your server

application = service.Application("foo")
applicationService = service.IServiceCollection(application)

server =  internet.TCPServer(Foo.serverPort(), Foo.serverFactory())
server.setServiceParent(applicationService)
--- end foo.tac ---

Except that it doesn't allow command line arguments to be passed
in.   Bummer.  Easy to fix, though, I really ought to write up a
recipe for doing so.

b.bum