[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r13641 - No, consigning copyright means it is _not_ (C) you. Let's keep this file simple, please.

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Mon Aug 29 20:12:17 MDT 2005

Mary Gardiner wrote:
> I was reminded at the sprint that I needed to ask about this.

Hi Mary, sorry for leaving this unanswered for so long.  I've been ...
busy :)

> My understanding of the license policy was as per
> http://twistedmatrix.com/bugs/issue903 -- ie, that the *only* thing
> commiters needed to do was to MIT license their contributions. This is
> all that http://twistedmatrix.com/developers/contributing currently
> states. Therefore, that was what I'd been getting people who
> contributed documentation to agree to, and that was my understanding of
> the licencing and copyright of my own contributions as of the date when
> the MIT licensing of Twisted began.

OK, I apologize.  This was apparently the impression I gave many people.

Just for the record, my intent was originally that we leave all of the
already-consigned contributors still consigned, refer to myself as
"Twisted Matrix Labs" for the purposes of holding the copyrights, until
such time as a foundation with that name could be established.  The
individual contributors who could not consign (such as MIT) could be
listed independently.

However, while the legal advice I've received over the years has
conflicted, folks seem pretty unanimous on the fact that this is
confusing and tenuous legally.  Let's just put the names of *all* the
individual contributors back into the license.

I think that also obviates the need for the "CREDITS" file.