[Twisted-Python] Twisted on QNX

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Wed Aug 10 09:59:29 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 08:25 -0700, Franklin, Lyndsey wrote:
>   I'm trying to get Twisted to work on a QNX computer (actually, I'm
> after buildbot but I need Twisted first) but I'm having problems
> getting it to run correctly.  The long and short is that for some
> reason, threads and forks don't like each other much on QNX.  I've
> been taking stabs at the code for Twisted but I'm not making much
> progress on my own yet.  Is there some way to get rid of the forking
> in Twisted? (For those who have played with buildbot, the problems
> crop up when I try to checkout source code, it complains about the
> os.fork() not being implemented).

fork() is how you run a subprocess in Unix, and Buildbot needs to do
that in order to run the program that checks out the sourcecode. If QNX
has a different API for running subprograms, and that API is wrapped in
Python, you could use that instead, though you may need to patch
Buildbot to support that method, or better yet provide a patch for
Twisted to implement reactor.spawnProcess for QNX.