[Twisted-Python] Why is Int23StringReceiver so slow?

Brian Granger bgranger at scu.edu
Wed Aug 24 14:58:46 EDT 2005

Hello,,

I am designing and implementing a custom protocol using Twisted.  I
have wanted to design the protocol to use int 32 prefixed strings.  I
wrote a test version of my server using Twisted's Int32StringReceiver
protocol class but it seemed really slow.  To test this out I have
written and tested two echo servers: one that uses LineReceiver and
one that uses Int32StringReceiver.  I have benchmarked both of these
echo servers by making multiple connections to each.  I find that the
LineReceiver based echo server is about 200 times as fast as the
Int32StringReceiver!

Is the Int32StringReceiver really that slow?  Why?  What am I
missing?  Are there hidden assumptions that I am missing?  Can it be
made faster?

Thanks in advance!

Brian