[Twisted-Python] P2P Discovery

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Apr 28 08:20:13 MDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:27:59 +0200, "van Aswegen, Marinus \(ZA - Johannesburg\)" <mvanaswegen at deloitte.co.za> wrote:
>Hi Guys
>
>I've got a basic UDP broadcaster working now to inform other P2P
>clients. This obviously only works on the local
>segment. Any suggestions how I could broadcast outside the segment.
>Multicast in python seems quite clunky and unreliable ?

  If by "segment" you mean "local area network", I don't think you're going to have much luck.  Most routers do not pass broadcast traffic (and for good reason - think about what would happen any time anyone pinged the broadcast address!).  Multicast is unreliable and clunky in Python because it is unreliable and clunky period.  Network support for it is sketchy at best, so you cannot generally use it except under very special conditions.

  In short, you cannot use UDP or multicast for service discovery over the internet at large.

  Jp